A bathtub is a central fixture in any bathroom, providing a relaxing space for personal hygiene and self-care. There’s a case to be made that the bathtub is where a person can feel their most relaxed within their home. Installing a good bathtub not only enhances the functionality of your bathroom but also adds aesthetic appeal to the space. Whether you prefer a quick shower or a long soak, a well-chosen bathtub can transform your bathing experience to something closer to luxury hotels or luxury spas. In this article, we will explore the different types and styles of bathtubs available, discuss the installation process, provide tips for bathtub maintenance, and recommend the best places to buy new bathtubs.
Types and Styles of Bathtubs
There are many options when it comes to a bathtub. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Alcove Bathtubs:
- Designed for installation against three walls, ideal for compact bathrooms.
- Typically available in standard sizes and offer a variety of materials, such as acrylic, fiberglass, or cast iron.
- Freestanding Bathtubs:
- Standalone tubs that can be placed anywhere in the bathroom.
- Offer various shapes, including clawfoot, pedestal, or modern designs, adding elegance to the space.
- Drop-in Bathtubs:
- Installed by dropping the tub into a platform or deck.
- Provide flexibility in terms of size, shape, and material choices, allowing for customization.
- Corner Bathtubs:
- Designed to fit in the corner of the bathroom, optimizing space utilization.
- Offer different shapes, such as triangle or oval, and can accommodate multiple bathers.
There are steps you should take.
- Measure and Plan: Measure the available space and ensure it can accommodate the desired bathtub size. Plan the plumbing and electrical requirements, considering any necessary modifications.
- Hire a Professional: For complex installations or when dealing with plumbing and electrical work, it is recommended to hire a professional contractor or plumber.
- Consider Surrounding Features: Determine the layout of fixtures, such as faucets, drains, and showerheads, based on the type of bathtub and personal preferences.
If you want your bathtub to stay in good shape, you’ll want to maintain it. Some of the best things to do involve:
- Cleaning: Regularly clean the bathtub using non-abrasive cleaners to remove soap scum and dirt. Avoid using harsh chemicals that may damage the surface.
- Preventing Mold and Mildew: Ensure proper ventilation in the bathroom to minimize moisture buildup. Use mildew-resistant caulk and clean the grout regularly.
- Surface Maintenance: Follow manufacturer guidelines for maintenance specific to the bathtub material (e.g., acrylic, porcelain, fiberglass). Avoid using abrasive materials or sharp objects that could scratch the surface.
Best Places to Buy New Bathtubs
There’s a lot of places that you can buy a bathtub from. Some of those include:
- Home Improvement Stores: Menards, Lowe's and Home Depot are a great place to shop for bathtubs and often have the widest selection of different styles and budget options.
- Specialty Bath Stores: Stores like Bath & Body Works and Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery specialize in bathroom fixtures and offer a range of high-quality bathtubs.
- Online Retailers: Websites like Wayfair, Amazon, and Overstock provide a vast selection of bathtubs, often with customer reviews and competitive pricing.
Installing a good bathtub can significantly enhance your bathing experience and add value to your bathroom. By considering the different types and styles of bathtubs available, planning the installation process carefully, and maintaining the bathtub properly, you can enjoy a relaxing and enjoyable bathing routine. Home improvement stores, specialty bath stores, and online retailers offer a wide range of options to choose from when purchasing a new bathtub. So, invest in a bathtub that suits your needs and preferences, and transform your bathroom into a haven of relaxation and cleanliness.